Rhianna has been a fashion trend setter since hitting the music scene in 2005. Fans love her clothes, makeup and most notably her hair. But how does her hair always look so perfect? She never has a hair out of place and her hair NEVER frizzy. Stylist to the stars Ursula Stephen who does Rhianna and Kerry Washington’s hair offers up her tricks for fighting frizz.
Why does hair get frizzy in the first place? Frizz is due to lack of moisture in your hair. In addition to that humidity can also contribute to it. Your hair loses moisture throughout the day, so midday, the cuticle [the outermost layer on your strands] opens up and lets the outside air in, creating a frizzy mess. Here are some tips to help tame your tresses so they look as great as Rhianna’s locks:
- Choose a sulfate-free, glycerin-packed shampoo. Look for one with glycerin high up in the ingredient list (the closer ingredients are to the top of the list, the more concentrated they are), since it helps combat frizz by penetrating the hair shaft and hydrating it from the inside out. It also creates a protective coating over the outside of the hair shaft so it doesn’t break.
In addition to that, you want to consider using a shampoo that’s rich in vitamin’s and antioxidants such as Olea E Shampoo. This shampoo is rich in vitamin’s A, E and antioxidants. This shampoo protects and revitalizes your hair from breakage, splitting and frizz. This unique formula contains natural olive oil. This oil brings moisture back to your hair, leaving it healthy and shiny.
- Don’t skip conditioner. It’s all about depositing moisture in your hair, or else the cuticle will open up to let moisture in and turn your hair from smooth to frizzy. So, look for a conditioner that contains glycerin as well as other hydrating ingredients (like shea butter), and apply it from mid shaft down to your ends, keeping it away from your roots if you’re worried about it weighing down your hair. Try Olea E Conditioner, this conditioner changes the texture and appearance of your hair with Extra-Virgin olive oil. Olea E conditioner restores dry and damaged hair and gives it a healthy sheen. The natural formula gives you immediate results by adding moisture to your hair and allows you to enjoy a long lasting softness.
3. Twice a week, only use conditioner on your hair instead of shampooing it. You might think your hair needs to be shampooed several times a week, but it doesn’t. Every two days, apply conditioner instead of shampoo and then rinse it out. Conditioner contains a small amount of surfactants (what shampoo uses to cleanse your hair), so it will clean it without stripping your hair of its natural oils.
- Use a hydrating mask once a week. Doing a special treatment at least once a week, especially in colder months when the air is dry, will help fill any holes in your hair shaft that soak up outside moisture and contribute to frizz. Check out Olea Hair Mask. This hair mask is highly nourishing. It gives your hair deep moisture and balances the PH of your hair which keeps the hair cuticle closed, making them shimmery and smooth. The Olea hair mask increases the quality of your dry and damaged hair, creating the beautiful, soft, silky look you desire. Enjoy the natural relaxation treatment of our Olea hair mask for a long lasting gratifying result including shinier and stronger hair.
- Let your hair dry 90 percent of the way before you blow-dry. Too much hot air focused directly on your strands dehydrates it, making it frizzy – especially during the winter months when the air is less humid. If you have straight to slightly wavy hair, let your hair air dry 90 percent of the way, Garrison says, and then use a dryer on it for the last 10 percent.
- Brush your hair regularly to help distribute its natural oils. Hanging your head upside down and brushing your hair with a boar bristle brush, which helps distribute the oils from your scalp/roots onto the rest of your hair, keeping your hair hydrated and helping to block out humidity.
- Keep straight hair from getting frizzy by brushing dry oil through it with a mixed bristle brush. While your hair is still wet, apply a moisture-locking dry oil, like Olea E Serum, from your ends to midway up your hair shaft; oil acts as a barrier, keeping liquids from penetrating. Olea serum makes your hair manageable, shiny and gives it a healthy sheen. Our special formula coats the hair shaft and effectively shields from environmental damages such as harsh sunlight, humidity and pollution. Our Olea serum is the miracle solution for dry, rough, frizzy hair that gives your hair lustrous appearance for a long lasting style.
Once your hair is 90 percent dry, use a round brush with mixed bristles (the plastic ones pick up the hair and pull it into the boar bristles for added tension, which makes the hair super straight) to seal the cuticle for a smooth finish. You can also flat-iron your hair after it’s dry – nothing will seal the cuticle like intense heat.